Updates

Wow, I've neglected you for so long, sorry...

Now that I work as a web novel translator, I have to type so many stories that I feel a little guilty if I do other things, especially writing, that doesn't earn money LOL. So, there goes my storytelling hobby too.

Also, ever since I took up the translator job, I don't feel like blogging too haha, although I don't have many stories to blog about because I hardly go anywhere and do anything.

Nonetheless, here are some quick updates:
1) Have been job-searching (engineering, lecturing, and so forth) since last July to no avail, only been called to ONE interview so far.
I've applied everywhere and through every channel: Jobstreets, 'cables' (help from my social network, recommendations from friends & my Ph.D. supervisor, some even help me forward my resume), so on so forth. No means no.

2) In the middle of the job-searching fiasco, I bumped into a job ad on Instagram about a freelance translator post from the company called Chill Solutions, I'd applied it (they have a test, translating a short text from Mandarin to English), failed, applied the second time with different text, passed and got the job. However, I don't really enjoy working with them due to their limited jobs to distribute to the translators, the pay, and particularly because their WhatsApp group is too noisy lol. I have to say this company is pretty great because the interaction and communication are very direct and dynamic, but I just don't feel belonged. Besides, here's my other reason...
After failing the test at Chill Solutions, I bumped into another translation job ad in the Fastjobs app from the company called EndlessFantasy Translations. I applied, did the test (very long text OMG), and passed. Then, I was assigned to a novel where I was one of the main translators of the job. Because I was very productive and quick, the one who arranges the work assignments assigned me to more books and now even new books. The salaries are getting more and more consistent, and also quite lucrative. Now that hubby isn't able to earn an income due to the pandemic and MCO (movement control order), the salary does help ease the financial burden at home.

3) I don't know why, maybe because I didn't have any permanent 9-to-5 job, I feel quite reluctant to get a regular daytime job, especially with this ongoing home-based translation job. I get to work at the comfort of my home (no expenses to travel to-fro workplace - fuel, toll, etc), I have time to cook lunch and dinner (reduce expenses on eating out), I get to go anywhere at any time I want (no need apply for leave, waiting for leave, etc), and so on.
The drawbacks:
1. lack of social circle. Yes, most of the time, only hubz and his workers, sometimes the shopkeepers beside his shop, badminton kaki every Wed, hiking friends rarely, and that's it.
2. can be quite depressed at times, especially during this MCO period. Hubz and I are quite different in terms of taking care of the household. He is the laid-back, casual, procrastinate type. Me, on the other hand, had a very fierce grandma and was trained, since young, to be quick and spontaneous in this compartment. There were so many occasions that I just exploded because of his all-time favorite reason: I forgot mah~
He forgot how to fold the bedsheet because we only do it once a week, like I also do it once a week but why I can remember and you not?
He forgot how to clean the fishes because we rarely do it but I also rarely do it why can I remember and you not?
I do the laundry, hang the clothes, ok lah he takes the clothes in, but he rarely folds them and put them back in the wardrobe like, need me to rotan is it?
I think the most heartbreaking part was when he told me that because of my nagging, he felt like 本来想帮的,都变得不大想帮了因为怕被骂. Then only I realized, and I literally said to him, 因为你少了十多二十年被骂的经验.

4) We still in the middle of thinking about whether to get a child or not. Got fear leh, how? Since my job is quite flexible, I guess a baby won't make much of a difference, and like everyone says, money is never enough lol.

I guess that's about it, and, guess what, still chatty as usual, haha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yellow Mountain/HuangShan, AnHui province

Awareness: “Charlie” atau Penyakit Kulit Kumbang Rove (Paederous Dermatitis)

Koh Lipe 4D4N