周星驰 Steven Chow VS P.Ramlee

Steven Chow has been the all-time favorite comedian for those 80's babies, especially boys/guys. I have met some of them who is so into SC, they would, every now and then, bring in the SC gags into our daily conversation and discussion and stuff. I even have one guy who I befriended end of last year, told me that I simply say one sentence of the SC dialog, and he would tell me what movie was that and when/where/who/how/why the dialog strikes! Yeah right genius~ Why don't you tell me the timestamps too~

CK's explanation is reasonable. Back in those 80-90's days, we didn't have as much 'indoor activities' as the current generation; there were game consoles but not every family could afford it (my house never had one coz cousin brother had it and mom told us to just play theirs); What's more on the national TV besides the retro Chinese movies that had been repeated for like a thousand times... and that time, my friend, was the era of SC etc...


I'm not really a 'huge' fan of him, I watched the movies and, yes, some dialogs are so catchy I do remember and use them once in awhile too, but, no, not big fan. If you ask me about the 80/90's movie that I love most, it would be 'Fong Sai Yuk' starring Jet Li and Siu Fong Fong =)

Anyway, when it comes to 'dialog test', many of my friends are somewhat amazed of my knowledge on P. Ramlee movies. There was this one time, if I'm not mistaken, back in Poli when we were watching a P. Ramlee movie on TV and I blurted a dialog in sync with the movie, my housemates were surprised and stared at me, and I was like, "What? I know some Malay songs too OK? Why are you guys so shocked about me knowing P. Ramlee dialogs leh~?"

This knowledge has to do with my grandparents whom I talked about at the previous post. Whenever we spent our night at my grandparents place, we would watch the P. Ramlee movie if it were shown on TV (kindly note that both my grandparents were uneducated and knows Malay language the best; and my dad is English ed and doesn't speak Mandarin). The dialog we 'rehearsed' the most: the 'Open Sesame' verse in Ali Baba Bujang Lapok; The gag we love to use most: 'Cobaan'.

Of course, not ALL of the dialogs in ALL of his films I can remember, I have my preference too. My favorite would be the Bujang Lapok series (definitely); Ibu-Mertuaku, not bad also, thanks to the epic mother-in-law of Kassim Selamat and also Ch000mbi; Dislike Do Re Mi because of Re and Mi, same goes to Labu Labi because of Labu; The rest, check out his filmography ~

Didn't really know anything about his life and his passing until I read this, so sad to see such a talent fallen just like this...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yellow Mountain/HuangShan, AnHui province

Awareness: “Charlie” atau Penyakit Kulit Kumbang Rove (Paederous Dermatitis)

Danok One Day 'Decent' Trip