January 26, 2010

Awareness: “Charlie” atau Penyakit Kulit Kumbang Rove (Paederous Dermatitis)

Most text quoted from the awareness notice in UniMAP's portal.

To all my fellow UniMAP coursemates, housemates, friends, lecturers etc etc etc...

Beware of this insect nah...



This bugger here has quite a cun name:

Nama Am: Kumbang Rove
Nama Saintifik : Class : Insecta
Order : Coleoptera
Family : Staphylinidae
Species : Paederus fuscipes Curtis
Nama Tempatan: Semut Semai, Semut Kayap, Charlie etc.


In places where paddy fields are everywhere (for example:Perlis), those paddy insects are one of the things fear us the most and we are most familiar with. During some specific periods, we will face insect and bug problem which make our life quite miserable and itchy limbs and body is common. Luckily I don't have sensitive skin, but some of my friends suffer endless itch and some even has swollen 'wound' due to the insects.

This time, another type of insect attacks again.

This deary Charlie here is less than 1 cm long, and the hemolimf liquid inside its body contains the most poisonous insect toxin in the world. It doesn't bite or sting, and the way the toxin enters the human body is through the contact between the insect's skin and human skin.

The pictures of the affected patients stunted me!







So, the precaution steps to be taken:

1. Minimize the usage of lamps as the bug is easily attracted to light.

2. Close all doors and windows during the 'bugger' epidemic.

3. Use the full face visor helmet when riding a motorcycle to avoid the bug fly into your eyes.

4. Use mosquito net, repellent etc.

5. Do not sit near the light/lamp, do not hit bugs which in contact with our skin, blow it away instead.

So friends, please circulate the information around. 'Just in case' ;)

Plus,



Why is it on 30th??? I'm going to Langkawi lah that time~ Sigh...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Lim Huey Nee said...

You're welcome. Never know my blog can help people in their assignment. LoL :)

sherermac™ said...

I was attacked by this s-ho Charlie last month. Fk I hate it. >.<

nanak said...

my housemate was attacked by charlie last month. trauma really hit her.

*sherer: (Muakakakakkakaka)

*~Huey Nee~* said...

*sheremac: Izzit? It must itch like hell then? I never really saw the bug myself. The warning notice was all over my hostel and my uni portal...

*nanak: what kind of trauma is that? there's scar?

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting!
Thank You!

eva said...

saya baru je kene ggt teruk gile kot...cam ne nak atasi ni....tkt la bernanah bnyak plak 2 6t berparut x?
....felo kat kamsis xambk pe2 tindakan pon...

*~Huey Nee~* said...

@eva, saya pun xpasti la... Kalau minta ubat drpd Doctor, rasanya boleh... Baik rawat luka tu sebelum bernanah atau jd lebih teruk

Aiza4t said...

aiyooo...that was nasty...but thanks a lot for the info and tips...i'm somewhere around perlis, and i need to be careful from now on =P

Anonymous said...

I was an ex-Kolej Matrikulasi Perlis student.....my face was bitten by this insect too...whole face swollen...nvr tot that there's such insect in the world

Lazizxon Ahmedov said...

I wonder whether it can fly or not ?

Anonymous said...

if tat insect fall into de water tat v goin to drink n it keep 4 1/2 hour..n v drink tat water..bt v dono tat de insect was inside...is tat afta v drink it cause any danger situation????????????????

*~Huey Nee~* said...

@Laziz, I really don't know if it can fly, but I do see in the toilet once in a while...

@Anonym, Woah that is absurd! I'm sorry if it really happens, and happens on you. I'm not a doctor so I can't answer you that, but please refer to a doctor when it does happen

Ms. Wanniey said...

Hiiiii i have the experience encounter with this tiny but dangerous insect... i ada cerita kat my blog... n i nak mintak izin u untuk i letak gambar Charlie brown ni... and i link kan blog u jugak... boleh yer??? TQ...

*~Huey Nee~* said...

Semestinya boleh Miss Wanniey, gambar tu pun saya ambil dari website uni jugak :)

Tanishtha Bhavanee Ravindran said...

It can... that's the scary part

Anonymous said...

Does it hurt? And how long will it take to heal?

*~Huey Nee~* said...

I myself was bitten once http://limhueynee.blogspot.com/2011/09/charlie-bite-me-bonding-time.html

Miss Lulu Suka Pink said...

I was bitten by tis charlie once in 2006. At first i didnt know it can spread to other parts of body through the liquid from the bitten area. A friend of mine told me to stop eating chicken until it is healed. I stopped eating chicken for 3 months i guess. Meanwhile i also used a very effective cream from the pharmacy 'Clobet Cream'. All the itchy area got treated n healed after sometime huhuu really don't eat chicken. It will feel so itchy n it is frustrating since u shouldnt scratch it because it will spread. Once in a while the ichiness might come back from the old wound 'the first wound' . I just stop eating chicken n put the clobet cream on it.

Huey Nee Lim said...

Thanks Miss Lulu for your sharing. :) The advice I get from my doctor was to seek medical attention first as some of the pharmacies here in Kangar offers some kind of medication that worsen the situation